Copyright © 2010 - 2015 All rights reserved
"Libraries: The medicine chest of the soul."
Library at Thebes, inscription over the door
Teenage girls suffer from a wide variety of emotional and physical health problems; essential oils in aromatherapy can help to alleviate some of these difficulties.
Teenage Girls and Aromatherapy
Teenage girls encounter several problems during the journey from a child into a young woman; some of these problems affect both physical and mental health. Mental health problems, in particular, can be an emotional roller coaster for a teenage girl and can cause her confusion, depression and anger. Use essential oils in aromatherapy to help to control or eliminate some of the difficulties a teenage girl endures during this time.
Aromatherapy for the Hormonal Problems of Teenage Girls
Teenage girls have to deal with the onset of menstruation, acne and changing body shape all at a vulnerable time of their lives; consequently, the hormones of a teenage girl are often up and down. Hormonal problems in teenage girls can be alleviated by the use of the following essential oils:
– frankincense (Boswellia carteri) and cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica),particularly for menstruation difficulties
–geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)- calming
–lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) - calming.
Aromatherapy for Teenage Hair Care
Teenage girls may experience greasy hair, which in turn leads to frequent shampooing. Add essential oils to both shampoo and hair conditioner bases to help alleviate some of the problems of teenage hair care; suitable essential oils include:
–clary sage (Salvia sclarea) – regenerative properties
– juniper (Juniperus communis) – good for greasy hair
– lemon (Citrus limon) – astringent and anti-bacterial essential oil
– ylang ylang (Cananga odorata) – hair tonic.
Aromatherapy for Teenage Skin Care
Teenage girls suffer from many skin problems which in turn leads to stress and anxiety; hormonal problems cause some skin problems in teenage girls but diet can play a part too. Teenage acne, cysts and black heads are common problems of teenage skin; suitable essential oils for treating teenage skin include:
–geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) – a healing essential oil
– lemon (citrus limon) – both an astringent and anti-bacterial essential oil
– petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var amara) – anti-inflammatory and antiseptic
– cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica) – antiseptic and stimulating essential oil
– roman chamomile (Chamaemelum nobile) - good for acne.
Use of Essential Oils for Stress and Depression in Teenage Girls
Stress and depression can affect teenage girls for a number of reasons; exam worries, hormonal imbalances, a developing body and family difficulties are a few of the causes of stress and depression in many teenage girls. Essential oils that are useful in treating stress and depression in teenage girls include:
–bergamot (Citrus bergamia) – for hormonal imbalances and depression
– lemon (Citrus limon) – calming
– petitgrain (Citrus aurantium var amara) – balancing
– clary sage (Salvia sclarea) – calming
– basil (Ocimum basilicum), rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)and lavender (Lavandula angustifolia) combined – for exam stress.
Essential Oils for Teenage Girls
There are many essential oils that can be used to treat the problems of teenage girls; essential oils that possess similar properties as those listed above can also be used. However, if you are unfamiliar in the use of essential oils in aromatherapy, consult a qualified and experienced aromatherapist for advice relating to your individual circumstances.
– Price, Shirley 2003 Aromatherapy for Women UK: Southwater
– Penny Price Academy of Aromatherapy: UK
This article was written by Sharon Falsetto and appeared in its original format on Suite101 as Essential Oils for Teenage Girls
It is expressively prohibited to copy or use this article in any way unless written permission is given by the author Sharon Falsetto. If it is discovered that copyright laws have not been complied with, legal action will be pursued by the author Sharon Falsetto.
CopyrightSharonFalsetto2010 All Rights Reserved
Making Scents of Information